Problem:

Four years after a major redesign, the homepage of krifa.dk had become a colorful cluster of CTAs, images, and equal parts sales and value driven messages from all corners of the business. Consequently, the sense of hierarchy had been eroded by the lack of a clear strategy for front page content, which also had negative implications on the overall aesthetics.

A pre-redesign screen grab
Before

In very general terms, the task at hand was to refocus the front page of krifa.dk.

The solution was restricted by the brand guide. However, since the brand guide is a print-first product, I took some liberties to implement changes that had sitewide implications and thus affected the brand, including revisiting navigation, CTAs and dimensionality.

Specifically, this project has become the starting point for a design system for Krifa, which has already proved valuable in working with third party creatives, and is also expected to speed up the design workflow dramatically.

Solution:

First thing I did after the problem-scoping was to make a heatmap deepdive on the frontpage. What this revealed was — not surprisingly — that the general use was very purpose-driven. That is to say that there wasn’t a lot of scrolling going on, since the entry to the self-service platform, which accounts for more than half of all page views on krifa.dk, is located in the header. As for the sessions that did scroll, they would click or tap elements that spoke to their situation (eg. “I’m currently unemployed”, “I’m a student” etc.), whereas more commercial spots did not really hold any traction.

Post-redesign screengrab
After

With this information, I made a quick first draft to present to responsible managers. Using the insights from the heatmap research, supplemented by heuristic deliberations, I stripped the page off of brash button-CTAs and commercial messages, except for a hero area intended for campaigns, with the rest of the entry points from the front page supporting user jobs to be done (main navigation not included).

This somewhat bold redesign did present a problem in terms of internal politics, however. In a relatively big organization, the notion that most departments would essentially be cut off from the front page proved too big of a sell. To accommodate this issue, I made a sidebar that is visually unimposing, and does not dramatically interfere with the overall aesthetics, as is the case with the current front page.

NOTE: as per Aug 30 2019, this project is still under development.